Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's not your grandma's pressure cooker!

Yes, I have a pressure cooker. One night while watching HSN (yes, it caught my attention) I saw Wolf Gang Puck showing his pressure cookers. I sat there and watched in amazement. As I kept looking at it I realized it looked nothing like the one my grandmother had, which then became my mothers. What won be over completely was the fact that you could put something in it completely frozen and then have dinner in 30 mins. I always hated having to thaw things out. That is usually when I cave and decide on something like fast food. So I did it! I went on-line and ordered it. It was here within a few days. I went big too! I put in a chuck roast frozen. I cooked the roast with, dry a ranch seasoning pack and some beef broth for 20 mins, then put in the onions, carrots and potatoes and cooked it another 20 mins. BAM! dinner was served. It was the best roast I had ever made, which is a big deal because I always seem to mess it up. It was moist and juicy and SO good. My next adventure was green beans. I can never seem to get those just right either. I took a can of Allen green beans, chicken broth and some onion. Threw it in, put it on 20 mins and presto! The best green beans I have ever made. I am LOVING this thing. I have also done frozen chicken wings, then tossed them in sauce and baked them for about 15 mins to get a crunch. Casey loves them.
Today was another challenge on things I have never been able to do well....black eyed peas and turnip greens. Well I can say my pressure cooker did not disappoint. It was SO easy and SO good. I put a 16 oz bag of black eyed peas in the pot with some hogs jaw, water and chicken broth. Put the lid on and cooked for 1 hour. They are yummy, maybe a little too soft, but still very good. Maybe 45-50 mins next time. Next was the turnip greens. I did the same thing with them hogs jaw, chicken broth and water. Cooked them for 30 mins, checked them out then for another 30 mins. The best I have ever made. Maybe that should be my title?! Well, I said "It's not your grandma's pressure cooker!" because it doesn't look like it or cook like it.
When I have googled recipes you can see that they are the old pressure cooker and it will say things like, when it gets to a boil, put in this...well this one I have you cannot do that. It is sealed tight. So I have had to guess around at some times. There also isn't a whole lot of pressure cooker recipes out there. I think they are  a thing of the past, but Wolfgang is bringing them back!!!
I just wanted to share my new found cooking love, my pressure cooker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment